Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Sky is falling...the sky is falling

Ok...not really the sky but the ceiling in my office. This is of course completely my fault. At the office we had a little "Secret Santa" exchange. My co-worker purchased 22 star ornaments for me. Well... I don't really have a place for these at home, so I decided to hang them from the ceiling in my office. (We have a very casual office. Movie posters from our favorite movies are in the hallway, a very large bow on my co-workers door, and so on).

After about killing myself by attempting to hang the stars standing on my desk and swivel chair w/wheels, I was bothered by the one ceiling tile that had a unseemly water stain. The office next to mine has recently been vacated...so being the efficient person I am, I thought I could just switch them out. I removed the ugly tile from my office, took the pretty tile out of the other office, installed the ugly tile in the other office...all was going well the first 75% of the job.

While installing the pretty tile in my office, I slipped a bit on my desk and thankfully caught myself. The tile was not that fortunate. I dropped it. It broke into 3 pieces over my desk chair. I now had tile debris all over my office, several pieces of a tile, and a rather large hole in my ceiling.

I had to fess up to the maintenance guy what I did. He came and put in a new tile within a matter of hours. The cleaning people even vacuumed out my office (something I don't think they have done since I moved up here six months ago). All and all it turned out pretty well. I put back the stars that fell this morning. Very inspiring. I have not fallen from my desk yet, which if you know me is a shear miracle.

I feel much better about the non-water stained tile but I think I may get a crick in my neck from starring at the ceiling so much.

2 comments:

Luke said...

Hey Laura! I didn't know you had a blog. Welcome.

Laura L. said...

why thank you for the welcome. I've read blogs for ages...actually writing is a new thing.