Monday, December 19, 2005

Greatest Fear of All-Teenagers

I'll admit it, I'm a child addict. Given the choice of spending hours of my Saturday afternoon with children or adults, I'd probably choose the kids. Now people may say this is just a factor my age. My "biological" clock is ticking. This is my physical way of satisfying my emotional desire to contribute to population growth.

I'm not sure this is actually true. I have had my "little buddies" with children for a very long time. I love kids of all ages. 0-12 they are fabulous. I even love teenagers...But they frighten me. The thought of childbirth, weeks upon weeks of sleepless nights with a newborn, fear of my two-year-old tumbling down the stairs, or my 9 year-old deciding that a bebe sized hole through my large picture window would add to it's character, does not send the pains of fear of my body as the thought of being responsible for a teenager.

Teenagers are old enough to get into trouble but not old enough to get out without causing a lot of mayhem. I fear so much for the long-term consequences they may face due to poor decisions. Feeling invincible, desiring autonomy, and discovering the depth of personal belief all lend themselves to making poor decisions. I pray for all teenagers that they may just survive this turbulent time and enter adulthood unscathed.

I'm so thankful that the Lord protected me from my stupidity during that time. As young adults, I think we have a responsibility to help teenagers through this time. Simple acts of kindness and interest in any teenagers life is the greatest gift we can give. While we may be rebuffed, ignored, etc. It may hurt our pride to try and fail...but that's probably good for us anyway.

To all parents raising their children in the fear and admonition of the Lord: Your strength, courage, love, devotion, etc...radiates the grace of God like nothing else.

No comments: