Saturday, December 24, 2005

Maintenance Projects-Holiday Traditions in the Vercler Family

Merry Christmas! Spending time with your family this year? Baking cookies, singing songs? To celebrate this holiday season my family engages in large-scale maintenance projects. As I write, my Dad is working dillegently below cleaning out our water system. Due to living in the middle of nowhere, we have a massive water extraction and purification system. The portion based in the house consists of the pump, water softener, de-gasser, and purifier. The water still comes through the facuets an interesting shade of brownish-orange on a regular basis...but a little rust never hurt anyone. I don't help very often here after I dropped the 100 gallon tank partially filled with water. It wasn't a massive disaster...only a minor one.

Traditionally every Christmas, my father engages in this task. It at first it makes perfect sense because he has a bit of extra time off and working in the field this time of year would be decidely counter-productive. The problem is it requires a complete shutdown of water in the house. Thankfully, I arose early this morning at took my shower. My sisters...not so fortunate.

For Thanksgiving this year we pulled out three large bush-type things from the landscaping and removed all the leaves/other fall debris. Pulling out the bushes required roping them with a chain, hooking it to the tractor, and dragging them out. I was not lucky enough to to drive the tractor. They gave me a rake. I did steal the leaf blower for a little bit...which is far more fun. My dad's version of cleaning the landscaping is to cut everything up and handing me a rake. We hauled away at least 4 small trailer loads of debris.

My mother tells me that the annual move the recycling was 4th fo July weekend at my grandmother's. Whatever the holiday, it is expected some major maintenance task with be accomplished. I just hope he turns the water back on. I don't think my sister want the entire family to come over...until post-shower.

No comments: