"How's work?"
"Busy"
This common exchange of pleasant statements has sparked my interest recently. When I ask anyone about their school or job, I expect at some point in the conversation for them to reply how busy it is. If they fail to make this statement, someone usually comments "enjoy it while it lasts" implying that it will be busy in the future. If a person is never "busy", they are often considered lazy or useless. Ok...so that may be a little harsh but we feel something is wrong with them if they are getting enough sleep and enjoying time with those their lives. In reality, it may be the rest of us who have got it wrong.
I've heard the acronym BUSY-Buried Under Satan's Yoke. The idea that the mundane and pointless things of life consume our most limited and valuable asset, our time. Modern technology such as the microwave, automobiles, computers etc.... all could be utilized to minimize the amount of time it took to do certain tasks. Instead of reinvesting this time into our spiritual growth and edification, we have increased the number of pointless things we require of ourselves. As this is a societal mindset, the individual who tries to challenge does not receive much for social support. Schools, jobs, and so on are designed to train us to maximize our time for economic development. As if this economic growth is good in and of itself. If we are not contributing our full amount to the greater good, we are considered a leech on society. It is essential we convey our "busy-ness" to everyone so that we are viewed as an equal. If we are not busy, we fear we are missing something.
Now those who choose to not maximize their economic potential in exchange for a less busy life face daily pressures to conform to the mindest. No one says on their death bed "I wish I had completed that report" or "I spent too much time with our kids." Unfortunately our "business" interferes with the things we love the most. If we would slow down and think about it, maybe we wouldn't have to wait till were in the nursing home to relax.
No comments:
Post a Comment