Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Low Country Boil

The first installment about our trip to Georgia....

One of my favorite southern meals is a low country boil. I had the great opportunity to partake again on our trip to Georgia. Now there are a variety of ways to make it.

Lindberg family tradition is carrots, small red potatoes, an onion in small pieces, sweet corn cut into thirds, smoked sausage cut into bite size pieces, and fresh shrimp. All this is added in the previous order at specific time intervals to a boiling pot of water that contains a crab boil spice bag. Afterwards, you drain the water and then dump the entire pot onto a newspaper and parchment paper covered table. Everyone gets a fork, a small bowl of garlic butter for dipping (usually 2 people share this) and there is a shared bowl for scraps (corn cobs, shrimp shells etc...).

Of course it is always best served with fresh sweet tea. (For all you northern Yankees, this is very different than sweetened tea, McDonald's now as a good approximation, but it still is different down south. Good sweet tea is best served fresh, so just recently cooled from boiling over ice).

I always loved making in Georgia because good fresh sweet corn and shrimp were to be found most of the year. I've done it a few times since returning North but there is nothing like a full Lindberg family low country boil as the shear amount of food on the table is inspiring. If you want though, let me know and this summer I'd be happy to have you over for a good boil.

The first time we did this, Joel thought I had lost my mind when I suggested we dump it on the table. He's into it now though.

Here is a picture of our most recent boil

2 comments:

sarah said...

We call em shrimp boils. They're so fun!! And you're so right about the sweet tea. I went to a wedding awhile back and they said "Here, have some sweet tea." I took a sip and it was NOT sweet tea! It was iced tea with maybe a little bit of sweetner in it. Just doesn't compare:)

Cindy said...

Amazing! We should have one this summer!