Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Never know how much you own till you move

I'm not moving but my sister is. In order to be a helpful loving sister, I'm aiding her in this task next weekend. As I was home for the Easter holiday, I allowed my car to be filled with random items to take to her new apartment. I get to drive around with the stuff for the rest of the week till I head out there.

My sister has been living at home since last August. Before that she lived in a dorm, sorority house, and small apartment (which she did not supply any of the big furniture). Despite this, she has unbelievable amounts of stuff to move out. You'd think it just be a few things. No, my CRV is very full and it didn't put a dent in the pile of stuff. At times it blows my mind away at how much stuff we "need" to function.

I know when it comes time for me to move it will only be worse. I've had time to accumulate a large variety of things to fill my small 1 bedroom apartment. It almost frightens me. I'm going to strive to be a minimalist but if we look back to my packing issues, I doubt my chances for success.

I highly recommend moving every couple of years. It forces you to get rid of things you don't really need or for that matter even use.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay...so this is totally ironic. I took a break from packing to mess around on the internet, and decided I would check out your blog...How crazy is it that you have a blog on packing and the insane amount of stuff one can accumulate in a short time.

My situation is so severe that my parents have rented an auctioneer's trailer in the hopes that all my crap will fit! That's how much has accumulated in three years...

Thank goodness I'm only moving three hours away from here (which will make me only two hours from home! :)) because if I were moving cross-country, I'd never make it...

Thanks for helping me waste valuable packing time! :) Talk to you soon! See you on the 4th?